Tuesday, February 10, 2004

LINER NOTES: Mix CD Challenge and Round Robin, Version 1

The premise here is that there are 24 categories (as seen below). You must pick a song for each category, then compile a mix CD of the songs (they must be in order). I'm actually doing this with two different groups, so there will be a slightly different version for Group 2 (#6, for instance, will be different).

1) If you were making a soundtrack for your life so far – this song would have to be on it.

"Screenwriter's Blues," Soul Coughing If I had to pick one song to represent the L.A. years, this would be it. It is 5 a.m. and you are listening to Los Angeles.

2) A song from one of the CDs currently in your 1) car stereo 2) portable CD player 3) stereo

"Satan is my Motor," Cake I haven't listened to it in years, but for whatever reason decided to give Prolonging the Magic a spin this morning. So here it is.

3) A song from the first album, cassette, or CD (whichever was first or the oldest that you still have access to) that you purchased for yourself.

"11:59," Blondie Sadly, I no longer have access to Hall and Oates' Voices or Foreigner 4, so this track from Parallel Lines will have to do. (Sorry it's so much quieter than the rest of the disc - obviously a CD in need of remastering.)

4) A song without a word in its title. (i.e. numbers or acronyms)

"2:19," John Hammond See what I did there? From 11:59 to 2:19? Huh? Pretty good, huh? Of course, it's not the smoothest transition when you're actually listening to it, but give me a break. Anyway, this is Hammond's version of a Tom Waits song never released by the man himself.

5) A song from the year you were born (we’ll take written, recorded, or released)

"Odds and Ends #2," Bob Dylan and the Band. From the Genuine Basement Tapes bootleg, recorded in 1967.

6) A song with the name of someone in this music swap in it

"Lee Harvey," Asylum Street Spankers Does Lee Caulfield have an alibi for November 22, 1963? Who was that well-dressed Englishman on the grassy knoll anyway?

7) A song in a language other than English.

"Ina Mina Dika," Kishore Kumar Okay, I can't really defend this transition, but I don't think anyone will mind too much. A little Bollywood never hurts.

8) A song with a city or state/province name

"New York City," They Might Be Giants It was either this or "Washington DC" by the Magnetic Fields, but somehow this works for me here...

9) Say you're planning a multi-day road trip, this song could go on every mix you make for the trip.

"Yeah! Oh, Yeah!" The Magnetic Fields ...so let's go with the Magnetic Fields here. Such a happy little ditty, unless you actually listen to the lyrics. Good for any occasion.

10) A song by a local artist.

"I Don't Want to Go Out Tonight," Li'l Cap'n Travis A cautionary tale. This could happen to you.

11) A song with a color in the title

"Red Wine and Whiskey," Katrina and the Waves I like the way it complements the previous song. "We'd love to take you out tonight, but we haven't got a dime."

12) It’s 5 a.m., your alarm is going off, this song would still make you smile.

I ran out of room on the CD and never did come up with anything for this category. Come on, 5 a.m.? It would have to be the "Scott is Going to Find a Big Bag Full of Money Today" song to make me smile.

13) Either a cover you thought was an original or an original you thought was a cover

"Corona," Damnations This fulfills both obligations, sort of. When I first heard it, I thought it was an original. Then I didn't listen to the CD for a while, and when I did, I said, "Hey! It's the theme from 'Jackass'!" Which it is, but later still I found out it was a Minutemen song.

14) A song that is about a specific movie or book or at least mentions a specific movie or book.

"William Holden Caulfield," Too Much Joy About both a book (Catcher in the Rye) and a movie (Sunset Boulevard), which should get me bonus points, plus the title contains the names of two other participants in this round robin. I say I win.

15) WILDCARD

"Chief Wampum's Trading Post," Victor Banana From the Velvet Glove Cast in Iron soundtrack. It's true.

16) A song that has reached number one on a Billboard chart (state which chart and when).

"Convoy," CW McCall Number one on the Billboard pop and country charts in January 1976. You knew I had to do it.

17) It’s a little bit country/it’s a little bit rock and roll – this song doesn’t fit a category as far as you’re concerned.

"Hick Hop," Wammo I guess it does fit the category of hillbilly rap, but that's a narrow field as far as I know. Seems an appropriate choice, all things considered. (Listen close towards the end.)

18) I hate the artist, but I love the song.

"Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)," Kenny Rogers & The First Edition This was a tough one, since I don't generally collect music by artists I hate. And I can't really summon any white-hot hatred for Kenny Rogers, but this song is the only one I'd listen to voluntarily. (Okay, maybe "The Gambler" if it came on the radio.) Due to time constraints, I left this off the final mix. If you really need it, it's on The Big Lebowski soundtrack.

19) Wha? If anyone can tell me what this song is about, give me a call.

"Walking the Cow," Kathy McCarty Cover of a Daniel Johnston song about something or other. I detect some vague yearning for times gone by, but...walking the cow? What? Is that some kind of yo-yo trick I never heard of?

20) Guilty Pleasure

"Goodbye, Earl," Dixie Chicks I'm not sure exactly how guilty I should feel about this one, but it is a mainstream contemporary country song about spousal murder, so I figure there should be some guilt attached. Sure is catchy, though.

21) TV theme song

"Journey of the Sorcerer," The Eagles I warned you! Actually, I didn't know this was the Eagles for a long time, and it doesn't sound like them at all to me. It's the theme from the radio and TV series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

22) An unrequited love song

"SOS," The Meat Purveyors Ah, a topic near and dear to my heart of late, so I'll go with a track from my current favorite wallow, All Relationships Are Doomed to Fail. And it's an ABBA cover to boot!

23) A song you love just for the title

"Piss Up a Rope," Ween Okay, not just for the title, but you gotta admit, it's succinct.

24) Stump the group

"Toolshed," Grand Moff Tarkin GMF was an L.A. band of approximately '93-'95 vintage, made up of my friends Tim, Pete, Bebe and Chris. This one is the perfect closer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home