Monday, February 14, 2005

Every Bar in Austin

Thinking about that 1000 Bars blog has inspired me to launch a new feature here at Moonshine Mountain, one that I already know is doomed to failure but which I will proceed with anyway, because it will be fun and will supply even more filler material to help sustain the illusion of "content" and "frequent updates."

As you may have gleaned from the header, the new project is this: to have a drink at every bar in Austin and keep a record of it here. Naturally, this is impossible. There's no way I'm gonna go to every shot bar, sports bar, titty bar, gay bar, scary dive, corporate hellhole and karaoke emporium in town. There will no doubt be bars that open and close before I ever get a chance to set foot in them, as well as pubs, taverns and saloons I'll never know about nor find. Not to mention all those borderline calls, like restaurants with bars in them or bars with restaurants in them or front lawns with kegs on them. But a man's gotta dream, yes? Thus, it is with great pride and no little shame that I hereby launch the first installment of "Every Bar in Austin."

1. The Dog and Duck Pub



This was the logical place to start. It is, after all, my neighborhood bar, within easy staggering distance of stately Von Doviak Manor. Inside you've got your British-style pub, complete with Scotch Eggs, Bangers and Mash and Bubbles and Squeak, if you're so inclined. Outside there's a deck in front and a patio on the side. It is with a heavy heart (cough) that I must inform you winter people that it was a gorgeous 76-degree happy hour on this mid-February afternoon as I kicked off this grand experiment. I enjoyed my beer on the front deck whilst reading Book #6 of the 50 book challenge (to be revealed shortly; that's some blog synergy for you).

Drink: One frosty pint of Full Moon Pale Rye

Bartender Banter: Glancing at the credit card slip from his previous customer, bartender dude confided, "Oh wow, that guy's name was Bernie Williams!"

Jukebox: Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, The Pogues

Overheard: Guy on cell phone: "Yeah, we're going to Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted for Valentine's Day, if you wanna double date."

Golden Tee Golf: Three holes, four over par.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home