Tuesday, June 22, 2004


Well, I seen that there Fahrenheit 9/11 this morning and hereby courageously give it a mixed review. I wasn't too impressed with the first part, which sketches (that's the right word, I think) the relationship between the Bushes, the Saudis and the bin Laden family. It played too much like a cable access documentary of the Alex Jones variety, and I was never clear on how far Moore meant to take all the conspiracy innuendo. (A montage of photos of the Bushes with various men in Arab garb made me a bit queasy. A little racial profiling, there, Mikey?)

The Iraq stuff is more solid because, well, Bush and co. have given themselves more than enough rope so Moore can just let them hang themselves. But of course he can't really do that, cuz he's Michael Moore, so even though it's true that he's offscreen a lot more than in his previous movies, there's still plenty of narration in that hangdog style of baby talk he favors that drives me bugfuck.

As with Bowling for Columbine, the best stuff is the found footage, plenty of which I had not seen before (though I may have blinked when the controversial beheading was onscreen, or it may be gone - in any case, I didn't see it, though there's certainly no shortage of gruesome video from the front lines). He also spends a lot of borderline exploitative but nonetheless moving time with a woman from (where else) Flint, Michigan whose son was killed in Iraq. And except for one mercifully brief bit where he tries to get congressmen to sign their children up for battle, there's little of his Punk'd shenanigans.

So yeah. It's a confused movie. Worth seeing, I think, but I dunno if you want to battle the first weekend crowds even if MoveOn.org wants you to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home